The Safe Environments Policy was created to take reasonable measures to assure that Church personnel who have regular contact with minors are committed to providing a safe environment for children and youth, are capable of identifying and preventing abuse of children, and have no personal history of behavior that would be a threat to children.
Applies to all Church personnel who have regular contact with minors. Church personnel is defined as all adult persons (those 18 years of age or older), whether clergy, members of consecrated life, or laity, who, as employees or volunteers, act in the name of the Church under the auspices of the Diocese of Pittsburgh or one of its parishes
Appendix A: Background Checks by Ministry
The Diocese of Pittsburgh has mandated the following list of ministries are required to comply to the Safe Environments Policy.
- Altar Server–Adult
- Bereavement Team Coordinator/Volunteer
- Business Manager/Bookkeeper
- Catechetical Administrator
- Catechist Aide
- Catechumenate Director
- Catholic Committ on Scouting Leader/Volunteer
- Child Care Giver/Babysitter
- Choir Director–Vocal/Bell
- Choir Member–Vocal/Bell
- Diocesan Priest Incardinated in the Diocese and on Assignment or Retired within the Diocese
- Diocesan Priest Not Incardinated in the Diocese, on Assignment or in Residence in the Diocese
- Diocesan Staff Member whose duties require regular contact with minors
- Director of Music Ministry
- Elderly Outreach Coordinator/Volunteer
- Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion
- Family Life Minister/Volunteer
- Fund Raising Worker/Volunteer (e.g., bingo, festival, fish fry, etc.) whose duties require regular contact with minors
- Janitor/Maintenance Worker
- Liturgical Art and Environment Coordinator/Volunteer
- Parish Wedding Coordinator
- Pastoral Associate/Minister
- Religious Order Priest on Assignment in the Diocese
- Respect Life Coordinator/Legislative Advocate
- Secretary–Parish/Religious Education/School/ Youth Ministry
- Trainer–Youth Altar Servers and/or Lectors
- Usher/Greeter/Minister of Hospitality
- Youth Minister
- Youth Ministry Volunteer
Safe Environments Requirements
The Diocese of Pittsburgh requires that all volunteers in ministry with children comply with the Safe Environments Policy which includes the following components:
- Diocesan Database and National Criminal Record Check (can be done on your home computer)
- PA Criminal Record Check (Completed with step one)
- Pastoral Code of Conduct (Now a part of the database, under Document Review. Read booklet and check box indicating you read it.)
- Child Protective Services Law Acknowledgement (Now a part of the database, under Document Review. Read booklet and check box indicating you read it.)
- PA Child Abuse History (paper form that you complete and turn into us)
- Protecting God's Children Workshop (you attend this workshop here or at a neighboring parish)
Diocesan Online Database
All adults who have regular contact with minors are to complete the Diocese of Pittsburgh's database application. Once this application is completed, it will also be used to obtain a Pennsylvania State Police criminal record check. When asked to choose your site, it will be “Sewickley –SS John & Paul Parish." If you do not already have the access code, please contact Krissy at ext. 228.
PA Criminal Record Check
Required for all volunteers, ages 18 and above, who work in ministry with children or teens. Print, complete, and sign. Must be renewed every FIVE years. Now completed with the Database application above.
PA Child Abuse History Clearance
PA Child Abuse History Clearance - Required for all volunteers, age 18 and above, who work in ministry with children. Print, complete, and sign. Must be renewed every FIVE years. Below are instructions for completing this form.
Name & address are YOUR name and address
Social Security Number is mandatory -- forms are stored in locked files at the Church
Purpose of Clearance is VOLUNTEERS (We have your Criminal Clearance.)
List ALL addresses and household members since 1975 -- the clearance will be delayed if information is missing. This includes parents, siblings, children, spouse, room mates, etc.
Parish Pays for all Clearances. Return completed Form to Parish Office.
Release Form - please complete the release form which will allow the parish to receive the results directly from the state.
Protecting God's Children
Protecting God's Children Form - Please note that this form does not register you for the class - it simply lets us know which class you attended or will attend.
The "Protecting God's Children" workshop is required for all adults, age 18 and up, who wish to volunteer in ministry with children. It is an excellent program that truly equips adults to create safer environments for children. For a list of all Protecting God's Children workshops in our area, click here To register for a Protecting God's Children workshop click here, and then click on the registration link below.
Code of Pastoral Conduct - Now a part of the database, under Document Review. Read booklet and check box indicating you read it.
Child Protective Services Law of PA - Now a part of the database, under Document Review. Read booklet and check box indicating you read it.
Cardinal Clause - Only required for catechists and faith formation helpers. Print, complete, and sign. Return to Faith Formation Office.