Altar / Master Servers
Altar Servers celebrate the Mass from a privileged perspective, assisting in the Church’s celebration of Eucharistic sacraments. They assist in the following roles:
- Leading the procession into the sanctuary while carrying the Crucifix and candles
- Presenting the Sacramentary to the Presider for text and prayers
- Escorting the gifts to the altar
- Setting the altar
- Presenting the wine and water to the Deacon/Priest
- Presenting the water, bowl, and towel for the washing of the hands
- Ringing the bell during the consecration
- Leading the ministers at the end of Mass
Altar Serving is a great opportunity to share a faith commitment with the entire community of Saints John and Paul Parish in a very active and defined way. In addition to weekend masses, Altar Servers serve at daily Mass and parish weddings as needed. Servers can expect to serve one Mass every 7-8 weeks.
In accordance with Diocesan policy, both males and females are invited to assist as Altar Servers. To be an Altar Server, you must at least be entering the 5th grade. You must be in the 9th grade and have served for three years to be considered for a Master Server. Adult servers are needed for funeral liturgies.
For general and training information: Contact Deacon Tom Lopus at email@example.com or 724-935-2104 X226.
For schedule updates and changes: Contact Kirstin Cenk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 724-935-2104 X289.
New and current ministers can use the Liturgical Ministries Information Form to update their Mass preferences or contact information.